openEQUELLA uses in-place upgrades, ensuring your institution’s decision to upgrade openEQUELLA is faster, easier and cheaper.
NOTE: Never upgrade from an openEQUELLA beta version to an openEQUELLA stable verison.
Upgrades with Windows
When upgrading a system using a Windows environment, the openEQUELLA Manager and application service must be run by a user with Administrator rights.
openEQUELLA upgrades are completed using the openEQUELLA Manager.
The openEQUELLA Manager is accessed using the server port number. The server port can be found in the
To access the openEQUELLA Manager:
- Open a browser and enter the address of the hosting server with the port number (e.g. equella.myinstitute.edu:3000).
- Log in using the openEQUELLA Manager Username and Password to display the openEQUELLA Manager. The openEQUELLA Manager shows the current Deployed Version, the Server Status and has two tabbed pages:
- Downloaded Versions—provides access to all downloaded openEQUELLA versions, allowing administrators to upgrade to any downloaded version.
- Get Other Versions—allows administrators to browse to and upload Manually Provided Versions of openEQUELLA or to download any available Official Upgrades. When upgrading to a major version, the upgrade file can be accessed by browsing to and uploading it via the Manually Provided Versions section of the Get Other Versions page. The upgrade process includes the following steps:
- Download an upgrade file.
- Upload the upgrade file to the openEQUELLA Manager.
- Deploy the new version.
- Restart the openEQUELLA Manager.
- Restart the openEQUELLA server.
- Migrate existing repository data.
- Upgrade systems integrated with openEQUELLA.
Download the upgrade file
- Download the upgrade file to a temporary directory.
The next step is to upload the upgrade file in the openEQUELLA Manager.
Upload the upgrade file
The upgrade file is uploaded in the Manually Provided Versions section of the Get Other Versions page in the openEQUELLA Manager.
- Select the Get Other Versions tab to display the Get Other Versions page.
- Click Choose File in the Manually Provided Versions section.
- Navigate to and select the upgrade file from your temporary directory. The file path is displayed in the Manually Provided Versions field.
- Click Upload. When the upload is completed, the new version is displayed in the Newer Versions list on the Downloaded Versions page.
The Downloaded Versions page displays any Newer Versions that have been downloaded but not deployed, the Current Version as well as any Older Versions that have been downloaded, whether they have been deployed or not. The next step is to deploy the upgrade version.
Deploy a new version
The upgrade version is deployed on the Downloaded Versions page.
- Select the radio button next to the required version in the Newer Versions list.
- Click Deploy Now to display a confirmation dialog that asks the user if they wish to proceed and warns that to do so will stop the openEQUELLA App Server service.
- Select OK to confirm the deployment. The App Server is stopped and the steps of the upgrade process are displayed. Deployment errors.
Any errors that occur during upgrading are displayed in the dialog.
When the deployment process is completed successfully a Click here to continue button displays.
- Click Click here to continue to display the Downloaded Versions page. The openEQUELLA Manager restarts in the background.
Start the openEQUELLA server
The openEQUELLA server is started in the openEQUELLA Manager. When the Server Status is Stopped, a Start button displays. Click Start to change the Server Status to Running. The next step is to migrate existing repository data.
Migrate existing data
Some upgrades between major versions require a database migration. Minor upgrades within a stable release will not involve migrations. The data migration process can take a significant amount of time and depends on the size of the openEQUELLA repository.
- Open a browser and enter the address of the hosting server (e.g. equella.myinstitute.edu). The Welcome page displays, instructing the user to login to the Server Administration page displays.
- Click either the login or Administer server links to open the Server administration login page.
- Enter the administration password to display the Databases page.
- Select Databases from the Server administration navigation menu (although the system should default to this page).
- Select Migrate to start the migration process. A confirmation dialog displays.
- Click OK. A progress percentage displays.
When multiple databases are in use, the Databases screen lists each database with a checkbox. Check each checkbox then select the Migrate selected link to start the migration process. The databases are migrated sequentially and the progress percentage displays.
When an error occurs during the migration process, a message and a Show migration error link display. Select the Show migration error link to display the error report.
When the migration process is completed successfully, the status of each database will display as Online.
View the system logs
System logs can be viewed at:
- resource-centre\20XX- xx-xx\application.html
- equella-manager\20XX- xx-xx\services.html
- operating system logs (e.g. Event Viewer in Windows).